Celebrate and share Jesus with us.
We’re part of a bigger church family, the Lutheran Church of Australia. Together we want to be a place where love comes to life. We believe that God’s love is for everyone, everywhere, and we want you to see how his love comes to life in us – and in you.
As God's partners, the Immanuel community:
- celebrates and shares Jesus through culturally relevant worship forms
- disciples people of all ages towards maturity in Christ
- equips people to share the love and good news of Jesus in every facet of life
- helps people to develop and use their gifts to serve others in both church and community
- is an open, caring and hospitable people who seek to engage with the local community.
Plans to establish a Lutheran congregation and build a church complex at Lyons ACT were conceived when most of what is known today as Woden Valley was still gentle undulating hills and sheep grazing pasture in the 1960s. In 1966 as people moved into the newly built suburbs of Hughes and Curtin, a Lutheran Sunday school began meeting in the South Curtin School. In 1967, regular evening worship services started in the Chifley Primary School. Block 1 Section 47 Lyons was acquired, and a hall with offices and a kitchen was built and opened in 1968. The congregation flourished and a church was built and opened in 1977. This energetic and positive start is still imbued in the church community today.